The Discovery Foundation exists to give young people the skills, tools and strategies that enable them to get the best out of life and to deal effectively with life’s challenges. The Discovery programmes are designed to promote self-esteem and to encourage young people to reach their full potential.
We run two programmes:
Discovery For Kids is a non-residential weekend course for children in year 7 and 8 (Intermediate). The programme is designed to support families in having better communication and more fun. Encouraging children to reach their full potential at home and school. The programmes have a ratio of 1:4 which enables us able to accommodate children who have learning difficulties, as well as those who perform well academically.
Discovery for Teens is a 7-day residential programme for 14-18 year olds run during term break. One third of the course is academics: study skills, speed reading, with two thirds of the course focussing on life skills. The life skills components include: communication, relationships, leadership, goal setting/planning and team work. This programme is also designed to give teens increased confidence and a toolbox of strategies to help them overcome challenges and navigate the difficult teen years. Teens come out with improved self-confidence, motivation and commitment. The programme is full of activity-based experiences and includes a parents day workshop on the final day of the programme. We have a ratio of one staff member for every four teenagers, ensuring that they are fully supported to engage in the activities.
· 94% of teens increase self-confidence and courage
· 96% report an increase in self-motivation
· 99% record dramatic reading speed improvements
· 93% report having more self-discipline and commitment
· 95% of Discovery parents say their teens have lifted their overall attitude towards life
- What a different young man! He is happy in his own skin, made amazing friends, learnt so many new and life-changing skills, has confidence in his ability and is excited for his future. We understand each other better now, and I love his new positive can-do attitude. – Hemme
- You will be amazed by how much you can learn about yourself in the short space of a week. – Charlotte
- I feel more positive about myself and that they have proved to me that if it’s possible for the world to accomplish, then it’s possible for me. – Eric
- One thing I gained from the programme was a huge increase in my self-confidence. I find myself standing up straighter as well as feeling better about myself. - Peter
There are a range of funding opportunities for families that we are happy to discuss.